Tuesday, November 20, 2012

What are you most grateful for, right here, right now?



Recently Grateful

Text Msg:
“Do you have dinner plans?”
“I’m still in St Paul.  Here till 6.  Still interested?
“Yes.  Gonna grab a shower.  Pbly 20 min.  Call when  ur home.  BLB or Grande Café?
“Grande Café.  It’s cozier.”

Voice Message:
“Honey, I miss you.  It’s been too long.  Please give me a call this morning.  I need to hear your voice.”

Meeting:
It’s a shock, I know.  Everything you’re feeling, sadness, anger, fear, confusion, all valid.  I encourage you to take a deep breath – don’t do anything in the heat of the moment.  You all offer unique skills and have deep knowledge.  This unknown is a hard place to be, and all I can promise is, and you have my word, you will know when I know.

Concert:
The call for Bruce, echoes through the convention center, culminating and sounding like Booooo  Boooooo.
He quiets the crowd, brings down the lights, and invites the ghosts of those we love to come and be with us.
He sings My City of Ruin and moves into Rise Up.  And we do.

Invitation:
Come be with us for Thanksgiving!  Please!  Come with us to Beth’s family’s Thanksgiving. 
I agree to go – I know better than to turn down a Thanksgiving invitation from a chef.

Text Msg #2:
“Sean loves the recliner!  Thank you for thinking of us.”
A medical recliner leaves my living room and the spirit of my home, my heart, is lighter.

Standing Gathering:
Friday morning.  Every Friday morning in South Minneapolis, heat, snow, pouring rain, we gather on the corner of 50th and Xerxes.  We pull out paper.  We check-in with each other.  And we write.  Raw write.  Together.  I wonder how the energy around me at this table moves my pen.  I’m not sure how, but I know it does.  And that is enough.  I need nothing more on Friday morning.


—Cindy J Kaiser

No comments:

Post a Comment